- Purchase legal fireworks from licensed outlets.
- Store fireworks out of children’s reach.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Choose an open outdoor area, away from trees and buildings, keeping a safe distance from the viewers.
- Have water handy, either with a hose and/or buckets.
- Only an adult should light fireworks.
- Wear eye protection, such as safety goggles.
- Light only one firework at a time, keeping your head away from the firework, and move away.
- Do not throw fireworks, nor hold them in your hand.
- Stay away from a “dud” – never relight. After five minutes, approach a “dud” carefully and douse with water.
- Soak used fireworks in water – they continue to burn long after the show.
- Clean up firework debris. Always be a good neighbor!